Super Health Food


Download

Once again, Team Pratt (my wife, Patty, and my kids Mike, Tyler, Torey, and Brian, and Mike’s wife, Diane) have played an essential and much appreciated role in completing this book. Torey has been my research associate for SuperFoods HealthStyle, and could not have done a better job in tracking down the hundreds of studies I reviewed while completing this manuscript. Thanks again to the wonderful employees in my medical office, especially Carol Henry and Maurya Hernandez, for helping me successfully manage my busy clinical practice while working on this book. A special thank-you to my patients, who have cheered me on, provided many insights into what works for them (and what does not), and patiently seen their scheduled appointments change when “book duty calls.” I appreciate the information about kiwis and avocados provided by my tireless patient Mr. Don Rodee. Thank you, Dr. Joe Vinson, for your careful analysis of the polyphenol content of selected foods listed in HealthStyle—everyone will love the good news about dark chocolate! I owe a special word of appreciation to Dr. StewartRicher and Dr. Victor Sierpina, both good friends and outstanding health care professionals, for their insights, suggestions, and vast knowledge of disease prevention. Thank you to Scripps Health and the Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine, its director Dr. Mimi Guarneri, along with Dr. Robert Bonakdar, Rauni King, Karen Struthers, Donna Gilligan, and Lori Winter stein, for leading the charge into what I believe will be the model for medical “healthstyle wellness” care in the twenty-first century. The same can be said for the Calgary Health Region, and two of its employees, Lori Pullian and Joanne Stalinski. I am blessed to be working with three great SuperFoods partners and friends—Dr. Hugh Greenway, Ray Sphire, and David Stern. Debra Szekely, founder of the Golden Door and Rancho La Puerta, continues to inspire me in my own quest to bring optimum health to the world through books such as HealthStyle. I would like to thank Dave Hamburg, the chief operating officer for Vital Choices Seafood. You and your company really “stepped up to the plate” when it came to providing and developing scientific information relating to the wild Alaskan fish, the backbone of your business. Thanks to Laura Fleming for educating me on the life cycle of wild Alaskan salmon. Everyone at William Morrow has been superb. I’d like to give a special thank-you to Michael Morrison and to the world’s best editor, Harriet Bell. No one can write a book like Kathy Matthews. Kathy, I am so thankful to be working with you. Your combination of professionalism, friendship, dedication, wit, sense of humor, and reliability is impossible to match. I know my close friend, confidant, and agent “Maestro” Al Lowman is enjoying every word of this book from heaven. It was Al who championed HealthStyle, as he felt strongly, as I do, that this was indeed a twenty-first-century concept.